Big Flats Lions Club

-= May 2000 Newsletter =-


LCIF News

Lions and Habitat For Humanity have joined forces in a three-year partnership to build homes for blind and disabled people. LCIF has committed up to $9 million for grants to build hundreds of houses for individuals and families with serious disabilities. The grant will fund 75% of the home building cost. The remaining 25% must be jointly raised by the local Lions district and Habitat affiliate. At least one Lions club must be actively involved in raising funds and organizing volunteer building teams.

The grants are part of LCIF's Core 4 program. Core 4 grants support projects that target specific challenges in four areas: sight, disability, health, and youth. Grants can be requested up to $200,000 on a 3 to 1 matching basis.

 

Financial Report

Community Service Fund $ 1,515.11

Administrative Fund $ 1,152.35

 

Board Action

Lion Larry Kotacska is chairing the Environmental Project. Six pine trees will be planted in the Community Park. The Journey for Sight effort will be given an incentive. Lions who obtain $100 or more in pledges will receive a free dinner that evening. The Antique Car Show is scheduled for June 11th. We will be preparing about 300 dinners. June 17th is our major effort with the Community Days barbecue and the 5K race. Scheduling will be tight. Try to work both in if you can. We are planning to take on a ramp building project. The 1st Presbyterian Church in Big Flats requires a ramp for senior citizens. The Church will become a "Nutrition Site" for the Office of the Aging. Meals will be available on Monday and Wednesday for $2 starting May 10th. Drivers are needed for pick up and banking. Lions Norval Johnston and Gene Herber will co-chair the building project. Lion Norval will coordinate the drivers. Lion Harry King stated 557 pairs of glasses have been sent to Lions International to be processed and sent to 3rd world countries.

Our four delegates for the State Convention are: Lions Donna Barto, Stephen Connors, William Powell, and Al Redner.

 

Club News

Elections were held April 10th for next years officers. The vote was unanimous.

The slate of officers for 2000-2001 is as follows:

President - Lion Bill Powell

1st Vice President - Lion Gary Bernhardt

2nd Vice President - Lion Stephen Connors

3rd Vice President - Lion Rita Dery

Secretary/Treasurer - Lion Norval Johnston

Immediate Past President - Lion Donna Barto

Tail Twister - Lion Lance Muir

Lion Tamer - Lion Patricia Johnston

One year Directors - Lion Mike Yanak and Lion John Hoos

Two year Directors - Lion E. R. "Bim" VanEtten and Lion Don Williams

 

Happy Birthday this month to: Lion Charles Easterbrook, May 8th; and Lion Al Draht, May 20th.

 


Back to Main Page