Our Club started the month with a dinner program featuring Mr. Michael Fuller of P4P (Pipeline for Progress). Mike is chief of staff for state Assemblyman Thomas O'Mara. P4P is trying to create an environment in Chemung County where talented people feel welcome. He said the group wants to prevent talented young people from leaving the area, and to lure back those who have already left. The dinner speaker for our second meeting, Dave Retsher, Senior Field Supervisor of Erway Ambulance. Dave mentioned the rigorous training that goes into an Emergency Medical Technician. In an emergency situation they may be more prepared to handle the case than a nurse or a physician. The Erway Ambulance operations has recently moved to a new location on College Ave. in Elmira Heights.
Camp Badger Service Day will be July 30, 2006. The nominations for our Club officers for 2006-2007 were read by Lion Bill Powell. President-Lion Maryann Balland, 1st Vice President - Lion Pat McKenzie, 2nd Vice President - Lion Chris Friend, 3rd Vice President - Open, Tail Twister - Lion Lance Muir, Lion Tamer - Lion Tom Rhodes, 1 Year Directors - Lions Al Draht and John Hoos, 2 Year Directors - Lions Rita Dery and Tom Rhodes, Immediate Past President - Lion John Farr. Our Signature Project will be an "Entering Big Flats" sign. Lion Merrill Lynn will coordinate. Columbus Day is being considered for the third rest stop effort. Additional service projects were suggested, namely, clean-up projects for the old trolley bridges, and the Big Flats sign on Rte 86. Lions Don Williams and Tom Rhodes will respectively chair these projects. Election Day coffee and assistance chaired by Lions Maryann Balland and Sue Brinthaupt, and a Camp Badger Family Day co-chaired by Lions John Farr and Pat McKenzie.
Activity Report for March:
* Corning Museum-Guide - 1 Lion, 8 hours.
* Food Banks/Pantries - 4 Lions, 21 hours.
* Gold Card News - 1 Lion, 10 hours.
* Historical Society - 1 Lion, 12 hours.
* Steele Memorial Library - 1 Lion, 33 hours.
* Town Committees - 3 Lions, 18 hours.
* Tanglewood Nature Center - 1 Lion, 58 hours.
* Environmental Emgr Service - 1 Lion, 3 hours.
* Mints - 1 Lion, 3 hours.
* Slate of officers for 2006-2007 presented at the Board meeting and at the 2nd dinner meeting.
* Held 2 dinner meetings and 1 board meeting
* Several new service projects discussed ? preliminary plans being made at this time.
* All Community Service donations were sent as budgeted
* King Lion John Farr and his wife attended the 80th anniversary of the Corning club.
TOTAL HOURS 166
Sue Brinthaupt, Club Secretary
Blind Bowling on April 2nd:
There were 8 visually impaired bowlers and numerous family members, and a good time was had by all!
Thank you, Lion Donna Peck!