In March we made some of the biggest strides yet in our pursuit of a signature project, and Lion Bob Byland reports that the memorial for veterans is now on order. The plaque ended up costing more than we originally thought, so an $800 increase was approved at our general Club meeting in May, bringing the total for the project to $3,800. We are hoping for a delivery within about 4 weeks! At the same meeting Lion and School Superintendent Ralph Marino presented the budget for the Horseheads School District. It was well received that night by the Lions and the public a few days later. Thanks Lion Ralph! May also saw our Memorial Day Coffee Rest Stop project. Reports on profit were unavailable at press time, but it's safe to say that the weather was on our side. Our Lions worked 101 hours for this event, with another 29 from spouses and friends.
Looking forward, Lion Lance Muir has announced that we would prepare 250 chicken halves for the Antique Car Show BBQ on June 14th, which is the same day as the open house for the newly renovated Town Hall. Lion Judy Zimmerman has announced that the August Board meeting will be on the 17th but she is not yet sure about July. The annual picnic will be held at 5PM, August 3rd, Sperr Memorial Park. Bring your guests and your appetites!
Lets keep Lion Connie Lambert in our thoughts as she is going through difficult times. Lion Bill Powell announced that she was at Seneca View (Schuyler Hospital LTC), Unit 3.
* Lawrence Township Lions 10th Anniversary announcement and invitation to June 16th celebration.
* Thank you note from Guide Dog Foundation for our $200 contribution, and Guideway newsletter.
* Thank you note from Boy Scout Troop 3097 for our $75 contribution.
* Antique Car Show BBQ: Lion Lance Muir will email the work schedule.
* Community Days BBQ: Lion Lance Muir will start a list for King Lion.
* Town / open house tours: Larry Wagner will need 4 people. Open house will be from 1 to 4.
* Coffee Reststops: Lion Lance reported that we still need to fill the 4-8 slot on Friday and 12-4 on Sunday.
* Addendum to the Attendance Guide: Lion John Hoos presented the addendum which resulted from Lion Bim VanEtten's situation and observations, which were presented at the March Board meeting. This was approved on a motion by Lion John Hoos, seconded by Lion Tom Rhodes. The complete addendum is on file and will be included in the next copy of the Bulletin.
* Per the recently approved Addendum to the Attendance Guide, Lion Bill Powell moved that Lion Bim be allowed to stay a member for as long as he wants. This was seconded by Lion Lance Muir and approved unanimously.
* Concerts in the Park: Lion Lance Muir reported that we will serve hot dogs and lemonade, and that this is a service project and not a fundraiser. These begin on June 8th, and all concerts will be on Mondays. There appeared to be a conflict with the June 8th dinner meeting, but Lion Lance noted that the first concert is inside the Community Center and we do not serve food at such concerts. At least 5 Lions will be required at any concert where we serve food. Other dates will be 7/27, 8/10, and 8/24.
* Annual Picnic has been moved to August 3rd from August 10th, and it will be held at Sperr Memorial Park.
An Addendum to the Big Flats Lions Club Attendance Guide - Presented by Lion John Hoos:
If a Lion cannot meet the attendance guide requirements the Board will review each situation to determine its merits and present various options to the member.
The options would be offered at the discretion of the Board and would include the membership categories as defined by Lions International or by special designation as offered by the Board.
Examples of reasons to consider special designation would be:
Activity Report for May:
* Care for a spouse
* Business commitments
* Professional obligations
* Other at the discretion of the Board
* Church - 31 hrs
* CC Office for Aging=Nutrition Site - 15 hrs
* Food Banks/Pantries - 13 hrs
* Meals on Wheels - 5 hrs
* Town Committees - 9 hrs
* Seniors / Bus Trips / Other - 4 hrs
* American Red Cross - Steuben chapter - 3 hrs
* RSVP - 16 hrs
* Historical Society - 7 hrs
* Tanglewood - 28 hrs
* Environment Emergency Services - 5 hrs
* Coffee Rest Stop - 101 hrs
Total Hours: 237
* One Dinner Meeting
* One Board Meeting
* Maintained at 38
John Farr , Club Secretary
News items and other submissions from Club members are always welcome! Please feel free to send any announcements or other items of humor or interest.