On Monday, September 14th, our Club dedicated the Veteran's Memorial at the Town of Big Flats Community Center. This was the culmination of a Signature Project we have been working on for several years. The plaque on the memorial reads, "To the Men and Women of Big Flats, Past and Present, Who Have Served Our Country, We Dedicate This Memorial - Big Flats Lions Club - 2009". Events included greetings by King Lion Judy Zimmerman, opening prayer by Rev. Rick Price of the First Presbyterian Church, presentation of colors by Big Flats American Legion Post #1612, history of the project by Lion Bob Byland, Lion Edward Fairbrother, Deputy Supervisor, representing the Town, comments from Lion Neal Gummoe, WWII Veteran, closing remarks by King Lion Judy Zimmerman, and Benediction by Rev. Rick Price. There was a dessert reception inside the Community Center Great Room followed by a membership meeting at 7:20PM.
For our second meeting we were back at the Crystal house enjoying the enhanced fare, which included Fettuccini with shrimp in addition to the regular entrees, and ice cream with cookie for dessert. Lion Bob Byland arranged for our speaker, Greg Burrows, who presented an alternative theory to global warming. It was thought provoking, as evidenced by the questions and lively discussion that followed.
October events include Adopt-A-Highway on the 3rd, Costa's BBQ (450 chickens) on the 4th, Camp Badger work party (drop ceiling for cabin 3) on the 10th, the Fall Festival (hot dog cooking) on the 24th, and our annual Turkey Raffle. Our District Governor visitation is scheduled for November 9th at our Community Center Dessert meeting, and Scouting for Food is slated for November 14th.
Contact information for Lion Bim:
* 50/50: Lion Rita reported that over half are paid.
* Dedication - King Lion Judy stated she would write an apology to the American Legion flag detail for interrupting ceremony. She also reported on the vandalism and that she was asking about alternatives.
* Tent Sides - They worked! Board thanked Lion Tom Rhodes.
* Fall Festival - Oct 24th, Noon - 2:30. We have been asked to cook & sell hotdogs only.
* Adopt a Platoon - King Lion Judy sent a note of interest but hasn't heard anything yet.
* Donations Review Committee (Lions Rita Dery, Donna Barto, and Mike Yanak) - Lion Rita to report at next Board meeting. The idea is to reevaluate our giving, favor local organizations, and perhaps increase some donations.
* Misc - Lion Mike Yanak mentioned his article in the Big Flats Times, and that Lion John Hoos is back from the Hospital. He presented King Lion Judy with the Charter Night schedule. He also asked about former Lion Kwasnowski's wake, and Lions Donna and Judy stated that they attended.
* Brochures - Lion Donna Barto presented draft copies of new brochures for review, and this was followed by some input and corrections from the Board.
* Scouting for Food - Lion Bill Powell asked to confirm our Scouting for Food coverage. Lion Bob Byland said that Lion John had already arranged that with him.
* Venue - Lion Tom Rhodes stated that volunteers at the Big Flats Presbyterian Church were interested in having the Church host and cater our dinner meetings. Board indicated interest.
12118 Silver Creek Drive
Houston, TX 77070
Peters Cell Phone 713-569-8120
Charleys Cell Fone 713-492-4631
Activity Report for September:
* Church - 33 hrs
* Low Vision Center - 3 hrs
* Food Banks/Pantries - 37 hrs
* Meals on Wheels - 5 hrs
* Town Committees - 44 hrs
* Historical Society - 11 hrs
* Tanglewood - 28 hrs
Total Hours: 161
John Farr , Club Secretary
Memorial Dedication in September:
Pictured are the memorial, the inscription on the plaque, a Presentation of Colors by the Big Flats American Legion Post #1612, Lion Neal Gummoe speaking about his Army experiences in Europe in WWII, and Lion Bob Byland and King Lion Judy Zimmerman speaking about the history of the project. Lion Bob Byland was Chair of the Signature Project Committee and a driving force behind its success.
REMINDER - Our trial of a new meeting schedule is in effect through December:
We will be trying a new schedule for the first four months of the upcoming year. This will feature one dinner and one dessert meeting per month, where the dessert meeting would cost about $5. The dinner cost at Crystal house will stay at the $10 level with some adjustments to the menu. New schedule:
||2nd Mon = Desert Mtg. 6:30pm Community Center
3rd Mon = Board Mtg. 7:00pm Community Center
4th Mon = Dinner Mtg. 6:30pm Crystal House
News items and other submissions from Club members are always welcome! Please feel free to send any announcements or other items of humor or interest.