Our first catered dinner meeting at the Community Center went well. Good things were said about the food and everyone helped out. Lions Sue Brinthaupt and Mary Ann Balland stepped up to do the waiting & bussing duties, and Lion Mike Yanak has volunteered to be the first "Arrangements Chairman" in charge of cleanup-related duties. The Board has ruled that all of the 1st meetings would be held at the Community Center with catering from Minier's, and the 2nd meetings would continue to be at the Crystal House.
In keeping with his theme of relaxation and de-stressing, Lion Bob Byland lined up some wonderful speakers in January. First there was Roxy Burrows, who explained the "Art of Energy" and demonstrated a REIKI session with King Lion Judy as a volunteer, and this was followed at our second meeting by Judy McInerney of New Day Massage.
King Lion Judy reminded us at the last meeting to keep Lions Bim VanEtten and Connie Lambert in our thoughts as they recently lost their spouses. Rev. Herb Lambert's memorial service was on January 30th and Jini VanEtten's memorial service will be at Phillip's Funeral Home on Saturday, Feb 6th at 11AM followed by a reception at the Big Flats Community Center. King Lion Judy also thanked anonymous Lions who donated 40 Correlle dinner plates to the Center.
Recent deaths were observed - King Lion Judy led a moment of silence for the deaths of Jini Van Etten and Herb Lambert, and also for Lion Bim's difficulties. Secretary Farr to send addresses to members for Lion Bim and Lion Connie Lambert.
Treasurer's Report - Treasurer Tom Rhodes pointed out that $50 of the $392.50 that was collected for Holiday Help for the Hungry went to North Pres. Food Pantry while the rest went to Big Flats.
* Car Show - Lion Lance Muir reported that this would be held on June 13th at the Wings of Eagles Museum.
* Visitations - Lion Donna Barto will have a signup sheet for visitations. She is currently researching the schedule of Corning Lions programs.
* Membership - We'll induct Lion David Marks at the next regular meeting on the 25th.
* 40th Anniversary - Lion Mike Yanak reported that the date will be April 26th, which is a Monday night. We should start soon with publicity and repeat until the event. Secretary Farr to submit a blurb to the District newsletter. Lion Bob Byland suggested we create a poster board with pictures and historic facts, a list of Presidents, and so forth. We should also have a speech from a designated Club Historian (Lion Merrill Lynn?) regarding the future direction of our Club.
Correspondence / Thank-you notes received:
* LCIF Responds to Haiti Earthquake. The Board designated $250 for Haiti from our normal LCIF donation of $500 (this was later augmented with $100 from another source for a total of $350 for Haiti).
* Food Bank / Thank You note mailed to Lion Bill Powell for Holiday Help for the Hungry.
* Marge Tremaine - Thank You note for our help at the Fall Festival.
* Big Flats Community Center - King Lion Judy mentioned that a thank you note was on its way from the BFCC for donation of Corell dinner plates by anonymous members.
* Clarifying our Canine donations - Canine Companions wants $150/yr pledge, but we'll do $200 every other year. We support four canine-related organizations, and we used to donate various amounts annually to each. Our new plan is to send $200 to each of these, every other year. This saves us $300 per year.
* Lion Bob Byland suggested that we publicize this donation along with our 40th Anniversary. Lion Mike Yanak to contact the Star Gazette.
Good of the Order:
* Lion Bill Powell and King Lion Judy Zimmerman thanked the Bylands for hosting our Board Meeting in their home.
* King Lion Judy apologized as she believed she had "overstepped my authority re: dinner mtgs. at BFCC". On a motion by Lion Lance Muir, the Board designated the Community Center as the venue for each "first meeting", and the Crystal House for each "second meeting". Lion Mike Yanak volunteered to be the first Arrangements Chairman. This position ensures that cleanup is performed after catered meals at the Community Center.
Activity Report for January:
* Meals on Wheels - 11 hrs
* Town Committees - 31 hrs
* CG Museum Guide - 6 hrs
* Warplane Museum - 4 hrs
* Historical Society - 6 hrs
* Food Banks/Pantries - 74 hrs
* Environment Emergency Services - 3 hrs
* Tanglewood - 27 hrs
* FLUPA.org - 26
* Eyeglass Recyling - 4 hrs
* Church - 38 hrs
Total Hours: 230
* Lions Club International Foundation: $250
* LCIF - Haiti Relief: $350
* Maintained at 37
John Farr , Club Secretary
Birthdays in February:
Our Happy Birthday wishes this month go out to Lion Jane King, Feb 12th.
Big Flats Lions Community Service 50/50 Winners:
Oct 26th: Winners were: $20 - Gene Herber and Connie Lambert; $10 - Judy Kadlec, Robert Matthew, Ava Fairbrother, and Donna Barto; $5 - George Dery, Big Flats Lions (sold by Lion Bill Powell), and Ed Fairbrother.
Nov 9th: Winners were: $20 - Victoria Updike and Marlene Carpentier; $10 - Sue Brinthaupt, Phyllis Rogan, Shannon McInerney, and Amy McIntosh; $5 - Lydia Lynn, Bill Whitney, and Jacki Williams.
Nov 16th: Winners were: $20 - Elaine Putnam and Maureen Ferrell; $10 - Amy McIntosh, Bob Petrie, Russ Minier, and Donna Barto; $5 - Beth Friedel, Phyllis Rogan, and Rita Dery.
Nov 23rd: Winners were: $20 -Sylvia Tuller and John Farr; $10 - Susan Balland, Barb Rhodes, Lance Muir, and Lenore Confield; $5 - Dean Zimmerman, Jini VanEtten, and Peg Dernsberger.
Dec 14th: Winners were: $20 - Jini VanEtten and Laurel Cody; $10 - Emily Belosky, Lydia Lynn, Lance Muir, and Hannah Belosky; $5 - Pat McInerney, Jini Van Etten, and Ahneece Hancock.
Dec 21st: Winners were: $20 -Ed Fairbrother and Pat Williams; $10 -Tom Rhodes, Eliene Putnam, John Hoos, and Donna Barto; $5 - Skip Smith, Linda Whitney, and Janice Updike.
Jan 11th: Winners were: $20 - Mark Wilson and Gale Williams; $10 - Bill Whitney, Adrienne Bernhardt, Big Flats Lions (Pat McKenzie), and George D. Dery; $5 - Al Redner, Barb Powell, and Karlie Brinthaupt.
Jan 18th: Winners were: $20 - Lance Muir and Deanne Williams; $10 - Linda Redner, Helen Schwartz, George King, and Rita Dery; $5 - Gale Williams, Amy McIntosh, and Gene Herber.
From the Scrapbook:
"Reiki" session with Roxy Burrows and King Lion Judy as the subject
News items and other submissions from Club members are always welcome! Please feel free to send any announcements or other items of humor or interest.