Lion Charles Eugene Easterbrook - 1925-2011:
Charles passed away Friday, July 22, 2011, at the Mississippi State Veterans Home in Oxford. He was a member of our club from 1991 through 2004, and in that time he chaired the Food Pantry project, Boy Scout Work Party, Restaurant Relations, Scouting For Food, Historical Society Antique Show, Mint Sales, and Camp Badger projects. He was a veteran of World War II - 94th Army Infantry Division in the European Arena and was at Omaha Beach. He held the Purple Heart and The Croix De Guerre, amongst other honors for his service. He was a truly active member of our Club and other organizations, such as the Kiwanis Club, the Elmira Little Theatre, and as commissioner in the Boy Scouts of America. The occasional former Scout from many years ago will still occasionally ask about their former Scoutmaster, Charles Easterbrook. Let's keep Lucile in our thoughts as we remember Charles. His obituary may be found at the following link: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/star-gazette/obituary.aspx?page=lifestory&pid=152756684
In June we presented two new scholarships to two deserving recipients. Our Wings of Eagles Camp scholarship went to Josh Kartzeman, and Evan Harshbarger received our award for Eileen Collins Aerospace Camp. Both boys and their families visited our club to receive these awards, and Evan was featured in the Star Gazette! (http://www.stargazette.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2011107120332). We also weclomed some new Lions! Lions Aaron and Amanda Manchester (sponsored by Audrey Manchester), and Nicole Burt (sponsored by Lion Judy Zimmerman) were inducted in June by our Charter Member, Lion Don Williams. Welcome new Lions!
VDG Elect Dave Rupright installed our officers for the coming year, and he also had some announcements. He mentioned that we had a diverse club, and also that Lion Bob Byland has taken on the task of District Newsletter Editor for the upcoming year. VDG Dave also encouraged us to get & learn the new vision screening cameras, which can test 60 kids in 45 minutes through automation. And he pitched in a happy dollar as he was thrilled to be here! King Lion Bill wrapped up a great Lions Year by presenting 100% Attendance Awards to Lions Mary Ann Balland, Gary Bernhardt, Sue Brinthaupt, Bob Byland, Rita Dery, Al Draht, John Farr, Gene Herber, Merrill Lynn, Lance Muir, Bill Powell, Tom Rhodes, Marshall Updike, Don Williams, and Judy Zimmerman.
King Lion Bill has taken the helm and offers the following challenges:
* Goal of 2-5 new members
* Press forward with the soup kitchen project
* Explore possibility of a Leo Club
* Recalling King Lion Marshall Updikes challenge from 7 years ago, to repack food at the Food Bank -- There are more opportunities for this now, and we should challenge other clubs to help the Food Bank.
Picnic - From Lion Sue Brinthaupt
Hope you are having a fun-filled relaxing summer!!!
Let's get together at the Annual Lions" August Picnic" and "catch up" before the new
Lions' year begins to roar!!
o When: Monday, August 8th
o Where: Big Flats Community Park at 6:00 pm
o Cost: $3.00 for meat and please bring a dish to pass
o Who: Lions and their families plus any possible new members
Board Action in June:
* Rest Stops - Next will be at Kanona from Friday, Aug 26th through Monday the 29th, followed by Columbus Day weekend (also at Kanona).
* RSVP - Lion Al Draht reported that RSVP has been buying materials for the portable ramps, and the cost for the last one was $438. He requested the Club to donate $500 to RSVP for this ongoing effort. This was approved on a motion by Lion Tom Rhodes, seconded by Lion Gene Herber.
* Vision Screening - Lion Donna Barto reported (via King Lion Bob) that the last screening identified two kids with vision problems, and that the Club still has some film. We may donate old camera & film to another school district if they'd like to start a screening effort, and we will use digital equipment going forward.
* Soup Kitchen - Lion Dave Marks reports that they have identified another organization to split this responsibility by alternating months with us. We would begin July 8th and work every other month. We would need 5-7 people at each event. This effort involves planning the meals, obtaining the food (whether by purchase or by using existing materials that may be available to us through St. Peters & Pauls, or local Food Pantry(s)), and preparing and serving the food. We would not need to clean up. Each event runs approximately from 9AM to 1PM. On a motion by Lion Rita Dery, seconded by Lion Judy Zimmerman, we will take on this project for the next three periods (July, September, and November), and our expenses will not exceed $300 per event. We will decide later if we wish to commit further.
Board Action in July:
* Soup Kitchen-Lions Dave, Judy, Gene, Al, Mary Ann, Rita worked a total of 25 ½ hrs. Lion Dave reported they had a lot of laughs and the next one is September 9th.
* Eyeglass recycling-Lion Bill delivered 637 pairs of glasses.
* Family Picnic-to be held August 8th at 6:00 in the Community Park. Lion Lance is in charge, A $3
fee will be collected ..meat to be provided. Please bring a dish to pass (and prospective new members),
* August Rest Stop-August 26, 27, and 28. Lion Lance will have sign up sheets available soon.
* Meetings-Lion Bill will check with Crystal House for the 2nd meeting of the month and with Minier's for catering the 1st meeting at the Center.
* Club Meeting Dates-Lion Bill distributed a list of dates for 2011 and 2012. Motion made the Lion Gene and seconded by Lion Judy to cancel the meeting for Oct.10th as the Center is closed that day. Approved,
* Christmas Dinner-the Center is not available on Dec. 12th. Lion Bill will check with Crystal House
* Activities-list for 2011-2012 was reviewed.
...Lion Gene moved that the programs be arranged by one Lion each meeting; second Lion Dave.
Lion Lance suggested the a "back-up plan" be ready in the event the speaker is unable to attend.
Lion Judy and Lion Bill each have one. Approved.
* Membership---Lion Gene has a prospective member..secretary will get an application to him.
* Hospitality-- Lion Gene made motion to add this to committee listings;second-Lion Judy. Lion Judy volunteered to chair.
From the Scrapbook:
Lion Don Williams inducting Lions Aaron and Amanda Manchester, with
sponsor Lion Audry Manchester
New Lion Nicole Burt (center) being inducted by Lion Don Williams,
with sponsor Lion Judy Zimmerman
Birthdays in July & August:
Happy Birthday wishes go out to Lions Sue Brinthaupt, 7/9, Dave Manchester, 7/9, Ed Fairbrother, 7/15, Audrey Manchester, 8/11, Bob Byland, 8/29, Dick Wardell, 8/30, and Lance Muir, 8/31. Note: Please contact Lion John Farr if this is your birthday month and your name is missing.
News items and other submissions from Club members are always welcome! Please feel free to send any announcements or other items of humor or interest.